Saturday, November 22, 2008

How Is Your Prayer Life?

Recently, my pastor asked the congregation, “How do you feel about your prayer life?” audible moans and groans filled the sanctuary. Why is it that no one ever feels that their prayer life is right where it should be?

It is because we can never be perfect. We can only strive to be more like Jesus. We have a false belief that we are somehow in control. It is when we inevitably lose control that we begin reflecting on our prayer life. The absolute need for prayer is laid out throughout scripture (click here for specifics). I believe God is pleased with our prayer life when we actively apply it to our lives and constantly reflect on its use in our life. I reflect by asking myself questions like…Am I making decisions without asking God for his wisdom? Am I thanking God for all the good in my life? Am I asking the Lord for what I need? Am I seeking God’s guidance even when I feel in control? The answer to these questions and others is almost never a yes. But I do not scold myself; rather seek Gods help in adjusting my priorities.

Don’t groan when thinking about your prayer life, or fall into the trap of comparing it to others. If you truly believe in the power of prayer and believe in the crucified and resurrected Son of God, Jesus Christ, then reflect on how you can apply these truths, as Jesus demonstrated. Remember, you are never in control and take steps to reflect on your prayer life.

Please, I welcome your thoughts on such an important element in the life of a Christian, prayer.

2 comments:

Jason said...

"What seem our worst prayers may really be, in God's eyes, our best. Those, I mean, which are least supported by devotional feeling. For these may come from a deeper level than feeling. God sometimes seems to speak to us most intimately when he catches us, as it were, off our guard."
-C.S.Lewis

Bryan said...

Very true.